Nicholas Andrew Michael Shawn Nathan Wanya "Nicky" Banks is Will's little cousin and Uncle Phil's and Aunt Viv's youngest child. He is imaginative, confident, loving, sensitive, nurturing, daring, respectful, mild-mannered, independent, caring, honest, exuberant, loyal, strong-willed, naïve, attentive, thoughtful, assertive, and well-meaning, but can occasionally be noisy, arrogant, argumentative, whiny, negative, or aggressive. He is the Pentagonist of the series.
Nicky (Played by Ross Bagley from Season 5 onward) is born to Philip and Vivian on February 22, 1993, towards the end of the third season. Except by one episode, when Carlton calls him "Nicholas", every member of the family calls him by his nickname, Nicky.
The character was primarily used as a plot device, often adding motivation for other characters, comic relief, or an emotional punch to the show's storyline. In the fifth season, Nicky grows from a newborn infant to a preschooler, which is common in television series and soap operas. In the first episode to feature this change, Jazz expresses amazement while Will just stares uneasily into the camera.
Nicholas ‘Nicky’ Banks is a kind, warm-hearted child, often putting others before himself. He is also very humorous and makes many jokes.
- His last four middle names are the names of the Boyz II Men members; he was middle-named this way after they performed at his christening, as recounted in "Twas the Night Before Christening." His first middle name, Andrew, was given to him at his birth in "The Baby Comes Out."
- He is the only main character who does not appear in the first episode as he was not born until Season 3.
- In 2022, he would have been 28 years old.
- Nicholas is also one of the two characters to have a noticeable age jump, the other being Ashley Banks.
- Nicky and his mom Vivian Banks are the only main characters to be played by different actors.